Last October, the Académie du Vin Library published a seminal book on California wine —past, present and future stories told by renowned international wine writers, including members of The Circle of Wine Writers.
On California is the long-awaited collection of best works from the world’s most beloved wine writers, following its predecessor, On Bordeaux. The newest title encompasses the expansive diversity of wine and wine grapes that spans the illustrious coastlines of California, from complex Cabernets and bright Chardonnays to mighty Zinfandels and delicate Pinot Noirs.
Renowned international wine author and On California contributor Hugh Johnson notes, “California’s wine is the most important development, the best news since the Romans planted the vine on the slopes of Burgundy and in the sand and gravel around Bordeaux.”
On California, conceived by Steven Spurrier, who died 9th March 2021, was launched in the US on his birthday, 5th October, to honour his legacy at Académie du Vin Library and in the wider world of wine.
Included in On California:
● 1976: How the ‘Judgment of Paris’ altered the prospects of Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon forever, written by Steven Spurrier, George Taber and Fiona Morrison MW
● Elaine Chukan Brown on Drought and Fire and the Future of California Wine
● In “Without the Pacific, we’re nothing” Clare Tooley MW explains why there would be no winemaking in California without the mighty Pacific Ocean
● Kelli White writes on The Boffins behind California’s wine ambition, from Hilgard to Amerine
● Elin McCoy compares Napa vs Sonoma: the difference between California’s best loved wine regions
● How Cabernet Sauvignon made it to California in the first place, written by Jane Anson introduces the four players at the table
● Top New York sommelier Victoria James tells of her near-death introduction to the wacky world of winemaking in Sonoma
● Bring out the Big Guns: the big wines (Screaming Eagle and the iconic reds of Napa Valley), the big names (Gallo, Warren Winiarski, Randall Grahm) and the big grapes (Zinfandel and Syrah)
● The great Napa ‘Recalibration’: Esther Mobley, William Kelley, Harry Eyres and Margaret Rand reveal a new Napa look for the 2020s
On California is available online for £30 or US $45 at https://academieduvinlibrary.com/product/on-california/